A journal of sorts.

I am an avid photographer with a love for digital processing. The Bearded One and I have become "Townies" once again and are in the process of transforming our suburban nest into a peaceful refuge.
This blog is where I like to stash things. An assortment of random thoughts, a recipe or two, a few of my favorite photos, and the processing thereof.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wacky Wednesday and "Ode to Dutch Bros"

 

Dutch mafia lrg

 

Once upon a Time...

Dane and Travis Boerma of Grants Pass, Oregon started serving up killer mochas and lattes in 1992. Changing their careers from dairy farmers to barista, they bought a double head espresso machine and set up shop in the empty milk house with 100 pounds of coffee and a pumpin' stereo. They experimented with different drinks and passed out free samples to anyone willing to brave the new brew and within a month decided to make a go of "Dutch Bros. Coffee".

Why did they call it "Dutch Bros."? Well because they're brothers and they're Dutch. Dane and Travis wanted to make the Dutch Bros. experience an amazing one for their customers and employees.

Travis said it best, "It's about fun, it's about people, and it's about great coffee."


 

b

This morning's "Dutch Bros." Barista

My History with the "infamous" Dutch Bros." Coffee stand began in LaGrande Oregon, where I spent a year working with the Union Pacific Rail Road. My son and daughter-in-law, long time La-Grandians hooked us up. Daily morning runs to the Bros. to pick up our assorted latte's and mochas in their signature blue and white windmill adorned cups became a ritual. I was hooked. I was amazed that a coffee stand would periodically give away free latte's and cold drinks. The baristas and the owners were always amazing and friendly. Equally amazing was the fact that they always remembered how many shots of flavoring to put in my daughter-in-laws favorite concoction. (just when you think its enough...add more). Leaving LaGrande to come back to Olympia was sad because "The little grey-blue building" with the windmill was missing from our landscape... That was then. Now we too have a Dutch Brothers. It's located in Lacey, and isn't really on my morning route but I will go out of my way. It's that good.

Dbbuilding

Our Lacey Dutch Bros.

 

 

Cuppa joe

My Morning Cuppa' Joe all dressed up for the Season

Cottage Life

The Bearded One continues to amaze me with his kitchen wizardry. Tonight he made chicken strips (rice flour, yum), with assorted salad greens, avocado, tomato, english cucumbers and a homemade gorgonzola dressing. Oh and some fresh picked mushrooms that the landlord pointed out as tasty... They were. If I wasn't so busy trying to get this blog out I would probably feel threatened by his newfound zeal for all things kitchen.

I made a major purchase for our cottage this week. Major because I'm pretty cheap. We compost here in our little nest. It's our contribution to our landlord's amazing garden. The compost pile is 1700' feet back up to the top of the driveway where the garden is located. The last compost container we had, (now broken) didn't have a handle so the Bearded one would have a heck of a time packing it and the recycle stuff up the hill. I finally found a nice size, charcoal filter in the top, with a bail handle bucket at world market. The price? Arrrrgh... $29.00 I couldn't believe it. I used to see them everywhere for a lot less. Now however when I needed one, I couldn't locate any. So I bit the bullet.

I must say though, that it is pretty cool as far as compost buckets go. It's Certainly not $30 dollars cool, and no one will ever see all it's glorious beauty since we keep it under the sink, but it will make the Bearded One's life a little easier.

IMG 5120"The thirty dollar compost bucket"


Before and After

I came across this bedraggled sunflower hanging over the fence. It looked "Done". You know... been there done that, burnt the candle at both ends, enough already... Done.

I could relate to that.

Before

Done before

I know, not your typical "let me take your picture" photograph. Pretty pathetic as far as sunflowers go, but it called to me.

After

Done

"Done"

I really had fun doing this one. I used several filter layers, photocopy, poster edges, and texture, then muted it with a "seventies" overlay.

 

Healthy Choices

NewImage

 

Nuff said... Yes I know Chub cam Monday is coming around again. I'm just going through a phase.

Hmmm... Pause for Thought


 

Until next time

Bus

No comments:

Post a Comment