A journal of sorts.

I am an avid photographer with a love for digital processing. The Bearded One and I have become "Townies" once again and are in the process of transforming our suburban nest into a peaceful refuge.
This blog is where I like to stash things. An assortment of random thoughts, a recipe or two, a few of my favorite photos, and the processing thereof.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Snowed in Sunday... okay so snowed in is an exageration.

NewImage

Looking out at the snow through the Original Cabin windows

 

Cottage Living

Friend Ferol has loaned us a marvelous book which has set the "Bearded One" and I on a Journey. We take turns reading it each night, and have become totally enthralled. A Pioneer's Search for an Ideal Home: A Personal Memoir The book was originally published in 1925 when she was 95 years old. She had kept a diary and put it all into story form. It would be a terrific read even if it wasn't so local in history. From Ohio to Grand Mound, and then on to Bellingham. Thanks for the loan Ferol, I will return it as soon as we are finished reading it.

NewImage

Phoebe Goodell Judson

 

 

Phoebe Goodell Judson (October 25, 1831 – January 16, 1926;[1] sometimes called Phoebe Newton Judson[2]) was an American pioneer and author. Along with her husband, Holden Judson, she founded the city of Lynden, Washington.

Judson kept a diary of her experiences following March 1, 1853 (the day she and her family left for Washington Territory), which she later abridged and rewrote into A Pioneer's Search for an Ideal Home: A Personal Memoir, published shortly before her death.

Because of the large role she played during the 1870s through 1890s in the development of the Nooksack Valley (including giving Lynden its name), she is often referred to as the "Mother of Lynden".[1]

 

Before and After Project 365

For my 365 photo today I shot these marbles out in the snow...

Marbles in snowThe rest of the day I was continuing the obsession... this time vegetables.

NewImage

Low Carb living

Amazingly I'm doing really well at sticking to the "low carb" deal. Partly because we are holed in here at the cottage I'm sure but the cravings for sugar and starchy stuff has subsided. Having the almond meal as a flour replacement has really been a safety net.

Cauliflower mashed "potatoes"

I love mashed potatoes and this is a terrific low carb replacement.

Cook your cauliflower either fresh or frozen until really tender, Drain really well. (the drier the better)

Mash just like you would potatoes

I like to add salt, pepper, garlic, butter, and heavy cream. You can also add cheese, bacon bits, etc. You get the idea. Absolutely scrumptous.

Pause for thought

Ha! To some this will seem really familiar. I swear this narrator made every geography and history film in the 60's and the acting.... most impressive, sort of. I'm in a travel across the plains in a wagon frame of mind. Come and join me. Oh and don't sit on Mrs. Crowder's pie.

.



Until Next time...

NewImage

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're enjoying the book! The cauliflower recipe sounds delicious... :-)

    ReplyDelete