A journal of sorts.

I am an avid photographer with a love for digital processing. The Bearded One and I have become "Townies" once again and are in the process of transforming our suburban nest into a peaceful refuge.
This blog is where I like to stash things. An assortment of random thoughts, a recipe or two, a few of my favorite photos, and the processing thereof.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thursday Full of Clams

 

NewImage

Cottage Life

The Girls (mom, sisters and sis-in-law) came out to visit me at the cottage today. I had gone down to the beach yesterday afternoon to rake up some steamers so that I could try and impress my family with my "chowder making" abilities. I had originally video taped my clam gathering, but a videographer I'm not, so raking clams and filming at the same time meant a lot of gravelly crunching sounds and the lens pointed somewhat skyward. Awkward to say the least. I will work on my cinematic skills for future reports.

My "make it up as I go" steamer chowder recipe

Saute' until caramelized:

1/2  cube of butter

1/4 lb of good smoked bacon. (I like to use the kind you get the butcher counter)

1/2 of a medium size onion chopped in chunky fashion, not minced.

2 sticks of celery chunky chopped

1/2 of a large red pepper chunky chopped also

1tsp. chopped garlic (I use the kind in a jar)

A sprinkle of red pepper flakes for some zip

Set to the side...

Put a mess of thoroughly washed steamers (the more the better) into a large pan. Add enough water to come about a third of the way up and proceed to steam the clams until they all pop open.

Pour a generous amount of the clam juice left after steaming, into the bacon and veggie mixture

Add a mess of fingerling potatoes that have been halved or chunky chop some small white potatoes leaving skins on.

Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are tender.

Add clams. Whole or chopped your choice...

At this point I add about 2 tablespoons of rice flour, which doesn't tend to lump, but regular flour will work. Tip: if using regular flour mix with some of the liquid first making a paste, then add to mixture

Add a generous amount of half and half or half half and half and half heavy cream.

Bring the temperature back up, salt and pepper to taste and a little sprinkle of paprika.

Note... clam juice will be salty so best to do a taste test before adding salt.

Bona not so petite'

NewImage

Steamer Clams... the secret to my success

For dessert we had some gluten-free sugar-free apple crisp with a pecan filled topping, served with fresh whipped cream.

 

Before and After

I borrowed this photo from a folder of pictures that I shot for Sam and Shavin's wedding.  I tend to do a lot of artsy stuff but I thought I'd change it up a bit and do some "regular" stuff.

I like this photo... I wish the table wasn't in the shot or that it was a nice old wooden desk but alas it's formica. Anyway that's beside the point in this case. I could magically make the desk go away with photoshop, but I am trying to stick to the "regular" rules for this one. No fancy stuff. But I could. I'm just sayin'....

Before

So here's the photo out of the camera

NewImage

After

With a little boost, pretty subtle. A little more brightness in the skin tones, and eyes. I have also gotten rid of the distracting paper leaning against the wall.

NewImage

One of my favorite processes. A slightly muted version, yet still plenty of contrast.

NewImage

And then there's Black and White...

NewImage

 

Healthy Choices

NewImage


Hmmm... Pause for Thought

I'm in a clammy sorta mood and so here's a tribute to a Northwest Favorite...


 

Until Next Time...

NewImage

No comments:

Post a Comment